DV360 Ads Optimization | NightJarr
DV360 ads optimization
Date: Sep 2021
What is DV360?
Display & Video 360 (DV360) is Google’s Programmatic Demand Side Platform (DSP).
Learn the basics of DV360
Who should use this guide?
Media buyers who are looking for ideas on how to improve the performance of their creative.
From display ads, native ads to data driven creative.
1. How engaging ads can lower your CPA
DV360 offers outcome based buying to help you reach your goals.
If you want to drive sales, you can buy clicks and optimize your CPA. The objective would be to increase sales and lower your CPA.
Click Through Rate (CTR) is the key metric used to measure your ad performance. A higher CTR results in more potential actions.
Creating engaging ads
- Have more than one banner set in a campaign. Determine the highest performing version and remove the version that is under performing. Use these learnings to develop assets similar to the best performing
- Use a relevant call to action in the ad for each stage of the buyer funnel. E.g. use “Read More” as a CTA for campaigns higher up in the funnel.
- Implement different creative types like data driven creative or native ads. (more about this later)
2. Data driven creative
What is data-driven creative?
Data-driven creative changes creative elements in real time to deliver the most relevant ad.
This can be used to personalise the look and feel of your creative for your different audience segments. For example, you can show one creative message to a user looking at black sneakers and a different message to a user looking at blue trainers.
Any element within this creative can be changed including CTA, text, exit URL and images.
This doesn’t just sound impressive, it is. This format is ideal to use for performance and relevant communication with your audience.
Why is this important?
These ads respond instantly and intuitively to who your audience is and what they are browsing for.
This ensures ads are 100% relevant and will create an easier journey towards performance goals.
When to use it?
It’s most effectively used for efficient A/B testing, by inserting new assets into existing design templates you can achieve greater creative personalisation.
This allows you to create a customised asset in real time using data signals such as user behaviour, location, demographic etc.
How to use data-driven creative
a) Choose the signals you want to use.
- Day and hour – changing a title using a signal for day and hour.
- Remarketing – matching an image to a product that a user browsed.
- Geolocation – adapting the CTA according to the users’ location and nearby shops.
b) Build the creative with Google Website Designer
Google Website Designer is a great tool to build data driven creative
It’s powerful and free. Click here to find out more.
We recommend looking at these format types:
- Blank Slate – this is completely customisable. You can choose to use logos, headlines and descriptions.
- Cue Card – this is a flexible layout with room for a logo, background image and 3 frames of ad copy. Viewers swipe vertically to see the next frame of content.
- Panorama – this is a 3 frame gallery with room for a logo, high quality photos, product images and ad copy. Viewers swipe horizontally to move between frames.
c) Associate the signals with the creative change
For example: you sell shoes and create 2 data driven creatives
a) Running shoes for females
Text = Light running shoes
Image = Running shoes (female shoe and foot)
CTA = Shop running shoes
Colours = Soft & related to females
b) Hiking boots for males
Text = Hiking boots
Image = Hiking boot (male shoe and foot)
CTA = Shop hiking boots
Colours = Strong colours and contrast
3. Native ad formats
What are native ad formats?
Native ad formats match the look and feel of a site or app to provide a better user experience for visitors. They are designed to fit organically inside the user’s path through a site or app. Visitors still know they are ads, but they look appealing alongside publisher content.
Types of native creatives you can buy in DV360:
- Native app install.
- Native site creative.
- Native video.
- Repurposing social assets – native ads can work as an extension of social media creative into display.
- Staying relevant – you can blend native formats with relevant publisher content.
- Increased audience reach and exposure – native is an extended creative format as you aren’t only buying IAB slots.
- Consumer engagement is proven to be higher on native.
- Effective for increasing brand awareness.
- A non-invasive format – it doesn’t disrupt a users’ experience.
- Native fights against user fatigue of ads.
We recommend using native ads as part of any strategy. This is an additional ad format which means extended exposure and further reach. It is versatile and adaptable unlike IAB where creative remains the same. Native ads adapt to where they are displayed so one creative can have multiple layouts.
We hope this guide was useful to you.